Bethel Church ParkHouston, Texas

About the Project

  • Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was founded in the late 1800’s by Reverend John (Jack) H. Yates, an early leader of Houston’s African American community; its third and most recent structure was abandoned in 1997 and nearly destroyed by fire in 2005
  • The property was restored by retaining and reinforcing the existing exterior walls and establishing a park in the interior
  • Project includes seating reminiscent of church pews, interpretive panels, and open web trusses to reinforce the structure without obscuring light and views to the open sky
  • Scope of work also included refurbished masonry and accents, window openings, and decorative fencing